Sunday, May 13, 2007

Harole & Maude

Our group keeps talking about having a movie night: maybe we should actually pick a night and start with Harold & Maude. And while we're at it, three suggestions for future movie nights from My Top Ten would be: Brewster McCloud, O Lucky Man, and Local Hero. I have tapes of the last two but not the first.

Besides the Cat Stevens soundtrack, what actually drew me to Harold & Maude to begin with was the involvement of Bud Cort: I'd gone to see Brewster McCloud three times when it came out and he starred in that. It's still one of my favorite Altman films; I loved the revelation of overlapping dialogue, among other things. (And I went to see that because I'd seen MASH, by Altman, etc, etc...)

Plus, we've got a few documentaries we could watch. I still have The Corporation which, in my opinion, becomes more relevant every day.

(This just occurred to me: you know what would be great on a double-bill with Harold & Maude? The Loved One starring Jonathan Winters, Rod Steiger, etc., etc., based on the wonderful Evelyn Waugh book.)



The entirety of The Corporation has been posted to YouTube, broken down into 14 segments. Here's the first segment; stick with it (I find the very beginning to be slow, 'laying the groundwork' stuff), but toward the end Howard Zinn appears and discusses the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and for me, that's where the film really kicks in.

1 comment:

Tak Kak said...

Hey, until I watched this again recently, I hadn't realized that the bike cop who chases Maude around for a while is played by a young Tom Skerritt.

That's uh, cool, huh?