Sunday, July 01, 2007

Sicko, Partie Deux

As I write this, I'm thinking to myself: "Take two aspirin and wait until morning; you'll feel better then."

First, on a lighter note: P4P had an online discussion recently about the film Harold & Maude. We talked about the good soundtrack by Cat Stevens, including the fact that two of Stevens' songs were written expressly for, and were available (for a long time) only in, that film. So what song does Michael Moore play over the closing credits? "Don't Be Shy" -- one of the two songs written just for Harold & Maude. Moore has a good ear when it comes to music in his films.

Second, having seen Sicko this morning, I'd have to agree with what Kate said: it's got to be one of the best documentaries ever, but it's also 'terrifying.'

I think the ad in the local rag quoted the NY Times review saying it was, "Michael Moore's funniest film." That I would disagree with; although Moore's trademark humor shines through on numerous occasions, my overall reaction to the movie was one of great sadness.

Sadness not just for the people whose suffering the film highlights, nor for the millions of Americans in the same situation, nor sadness for the fact that we, as a country, could do so much better -- but rather a sadness that, more probably, we never will do better. A sadness that, as Kate pointed out, was probably part of some Law Of Unintended Consequences that Moore didn't foresee.

There's a scene in the movie where Moore asks a French doctor if he thinks Americans will ever have universal health care. The doctor thinks for a second, then says simply, "No." At first I chuckled, but soon after that, I felt a real, palpable depression settle in over me and I haven't been able to shake it. I've no doubt, as Moore points out, that Americans mean well. I just don't know if they'll be willing to pay attention long enough, and push hard enough, to make the social changes we need to make.

I'm hoping the aspirin and a good night's sleep will give me a rosier perspective in the morning.

In the meantime, there's always the re-broadcast of Larry King's Paris Hilton interview tonight... Or maybe I'll do some online research about getting my passport.

No comments: