Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Rose By Any Other Name

The Philosophy That Dare Not Speak Its Name -- or: The phrase that stops all serious discussion in American politics:

"Class warfare"

And yet...



"I spent 33 years and 4 months in active service as a member of our country's most agile military force--the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from second lieutenant to Major General. And during that period I spent most of my time being a high-class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer for capitalism. I suspected I was part of a racket all the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all members of the military profession I never had an original thought until I left the service."
--Major General Smedley Darlington Butler, at the time of his death, the most decorated Marine in U.S. history

1 comment:

kate loving shenk said...

The simplicity of this is effective!!!

Thanks for posting it!!

Kate Loving Shenk
http://www.nursingcareertransformation.com